HARP will be running an Introduction to Field Archaeology course based near Paphos, Cyprus from the 5th to the 18th April 2015. The course will take place in the idyllic village of Lemba, located approximately 6km from the historic centre of Paphos. The village has a rich and varied history and has beautiful views west over the Mediterranean, the perfect place to enjoy a sunset!
The course will run for two weeks and aims to provide an introduction to archaeology as a whole, using Cyprus as a case study.
The course will include:
• Introductory seminars on the study of archaeology
• Seminars and lectures on the prehistory of Cyprus, from the Neolithic up until the Roman period
• The opportunity to study and draw artefacts uncovered from local excavations
• Lessons in how to draw and record archaeological sites with practical workshops carried out at the Chalcolithic site of Lemba-Lakkous
• Lessons in how to conduct basic surveying and standing building recording with practical workshops carried out at a reconstructed Chalcolithic village
• Archaeological photography, and basic photography skills
• Introduction to Experimental Archaeology and reconstruction techniques, with practical workshops in reconstructing a Chalcolithic village, and brewing Bronze Age beer
The course will also include a series of visits to prehistoric sites in the region from the Neolithic to the Bronze Age, including a trip to the World Heritage site of the Tombs of the Kings and the Paphos Museum, which will help to put what is learnt on the course into perspective.
Every participant will receive a course book to build and develop their skills over the course of the field school and will produce a portfolio of work over the 2 weeks (see below for an example of portfolio work). All meals will be provided on work days and we'll wind up the course with a traditional BBQ.
Camping accommodation will be provided, please click here for more details (other accommodation can be arranged on request).
'Lemba Prehistoric Village'
The cost for the field school is £420 per person and includes accommodation, transport on all site visits, meals on work days and a final evening BBQ. A 5% discount is available when two or more places are booked at the same time. Airport Transfers by local taxi (to be paid for by participant) can be arranged if required.
For more information or to apply for a place please contact us or download an application form below and return to us via email
a Bronze Age Kiln
Field Schools >